Former United States Ambassador to the European Union, Senior Counsel, Sidley Austin LLP, Senior Adviser, Brunswick Group
- Over 27 years experience dedicated to U.S.-European affairs
- Played a pivotal role in some of the most challenging issues in the U.S.-EU relationship, including the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Agreement (TTIP)
- Discusses the importance of the EU as a significant and valuable American ally, focusing on EU data and digital policy as well as in transatlantic trade
Tony Gardner, former U.S. Ambassador to the European Union, has devoted more than 27 years of his distinguished career to U.S.-European affairs as a government official and lawyer. During his service as U.S. Ambassador until 2017, he played a pivotal role in some of the most challenging issues in the U.S.-EU relationship, including the negotiations to conclude a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Agreement (TTIP), the Privacy Shield Agreement facilitating the transatlantic transfer of personal data by companies based in Europe and the Umbrella Agreement facilitating the transatlantic transfer of data between law enforcement authorities. He was also closely involved in aspects of the EU Digital Single Market and in U.S.-EU coordination of sanctions against Russia following its annexation of Crimea.
Ambassador Gardner is a board member of Iberdrola and Brookfield Business Partners, a non-resident fellow of the German Marshall Fund and an adviser to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Prior to his role as U.S. Ambassador to the EU, Tony served as managing director of a London-based private equity firm and as an Executive Director at GE Capital. He also served as Director for European Affairs on the U.S. National Security Council, where he was responsible for U.S. relations with the EU.
Ambassador Gardner splits his time between London and Brussels and focuses on EU data and digital policy as well as in transatlantic trade.
- US-EU/European Relations, specifically trade
- EU-China Relations
- US Foreign Policy
- Future of European Integration
- Future of EU regulation in next European Commission
- US Elections 2020
Click one of these resources below for another way to find more speaker ideas for your audience.