3 Lessons On Decision-Making From A Poker Champion | TED
- One of the most successful female poker players of all time
- Achieved a first-class degree in Astrophysics from the University of Manchester
- Is in demand as a model and TV presenter on a range of different shows
Play Video View Fees
Originally from Kent in England, Liv Boeree is one of the most successful female poker players of all time, with over $4 million in live tournament earnings. She studied at the University of Manchester, achieving a first-class degree in Astrophysics. She is in high demand a speaker in her native UK as well as abroad, in addition to being a sought-after TV presenter. Her TED Talk created a buzz and has currently amassed almost 3 million views.
Alongside fellow poker professionals, Liv co-founded the charity Raising for Effective Giving (REG). REG aims to empower people to make better giving choices by promoting the idea of effective giving, providing donation advice to individuals and organizations, and supporting fundraising campaigns and events – ensuring recommended charities can continue to reduce suffering.
Liv is passionate about science (her University dissertation was on The Detection of Gravitational Waves) and finds it mesmerising how it impacts on our daily lives. She grew up obsessed with understanding the natural, physical world. She has goal to instill a love for science in people. Science communication is currently a major focus for Liv.
Boeree first caught the poker bug when she was picked to take part in a reality poker TV show in the UK back in 2005. Soon after she became a regular host on various poker coverage shows, and it wasn’t long before she was making waves at the table herself. Boeree’s first major live cash came when she won the European Ladies Championship in 2008 for $42,000, followed by a string of other impressive money finishes at events around the world. Highlights included an impressive run at the 2009 Five Star World Poker Classic in Las Vegas, where she final tabled two side tournaments and made a top 40 finish in the $25,000 WPT Championship Main Event.
Then came the moment that would change Boeree’s life forever and make the poker world give her the credit her game deserves. Liv travelled to Italy to play at the European Poker Tour (EPT) Season 6 Sanremo event in 2010 - a tournament that proved to be one of the biggest ever, with a packed field of 1,240 runners. After days of intense action, Boeree found herself on the final table, and duly went on to crush the remaining players to take the title and a massive $1,698,300 payday, confirming her status as one of the finest players the UK has ever produced.
- Being A Professional—Basic Psychology, Games and Game Theory Applications, Rational Thinking Techniques, & Decision Making.
- Ethics/Philosophy—With A Focus On Effective Altruism.
- Science—Space Exploration, Physics, Discoveries, Artificial Intelligence (AI) Dangers, Extreme Weather, & Encouraging Women In Science and Engineering.
- A Woman In A Man's World.
- Environment—Climate Change, Green Energy, Sustainable Living, Food Production, & Animal Welfare.