Gavin Patterson Talks Business Goals
Former Chief Executive BT Group plc
- Transformed BT with investment in fibre and 4G, the innovation of BT Sport and through the acquisition of the leading wireless operator in UK, EE
- One of the most influential leaders in new media and technology in UK
- Draws on first hand experiences and shares insights on putting the customer first, using technology transformation to gain competitive advantage and leading a business with a strong social purpose agenda
Play Video View Fees
Gavin Patterson served as Chief Executive, BT for almost six years from 2013 to 2019.
BT is a global communications services company bringing together the best networks and technology with the expertise of its people, to enable businesses to grow, communities to thrive, and individuals to get more out of life.
Patterson led the completion of the superfast fibre broadband UK roll-out which now provides almost universal coverage and initiated the first stage of network deployment ultrafast fibre- to-the-home technology. He negotiated the £15billion acquisition of EE, which enabled BT to form the UK’s leading converged communications provider. Patterson initiated BT’s entry into content with the launch of the award-winning BT Sport, led the development of BT’s market leading cyber security practice and championed BT’s globally recognised social purpose agenda covering sustainability, volunteering, and tech literacy in schools. He served as a plc board director for 11 years.
Patterson joined BT in 2004 as Group Managing Director Consumer and was promoted to Executive Director, CEO BT Retail in 2008 taking responsibility for BT’s business in UK and Ireland, across consumer and enterprise. He previously spent four years at Virgin Media, latterly as Managing Director Consumer Division, where he launched the first broadband services in the UK. Prior to this, he spent nine years at Procter & Gamble, rising to become European Marketing Director.
From 2010 to 2013, Patterson served on the advisory board of the Cambridge University Judge Business School and from 2011 to 2014, he was President of the Advertising Association. As BT Chief Executive, Patterson co-chaired the UK Government’s Cyber Partnership and served as a member of CBI President’s Committee, the British American Business Council and the International Business Council of World Economic Forum.
Patterson is currently a Non-Executive Director at British Airways plc, Trustee of the British Museum, serves on the board of the charity Movement to Work, is as a Vice President of the Royal Television Society and a fellow of the Institute of Telecommunications Professionals.
He graduated from Cambridge University with a Masters degree in Chemical Engineering and is married with four children.
- Reflections On Leadership: Transforming the world’s oldest telco in uncertain times.
- Cyber Security: Lessons from defending one of the world’s largest networks.
- Business With Purpose: Why it’s the only way to build a sustainable business in 21st Century.
- Customer First: Ensuring marketing gets heard in the board room.
- From Incumbent To Challenger: How BT shook up sports broadcasting in UK.
- Technology Transformation: A leading practitioners guide to how technology will transform your business in the next decade.
Topics & Types
Former Group CEO of BMW GB, Former CEO of Porsche GB, and Former CEO of Lamborghini GB