Chris Gardner: From the Abyss to Happyness
Inspiration for the Film, The Pursuit of Happyness
Chris Gardner is an entrepreneur, international best-selling author and an award-winning film producer. Gardner’s autobiography, The Pursuit of HappYness became a New York Times #1 best seller, has been translated into over forty languages, including six (6) dialects of Chinese and most recent into Arabic. Gardner is also the inspiration for the critically acclaimed film “The Pursuit of HappYness” for which Will Smith received the Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award nominations for his performance. Gardner’s second book, “Start Where You Are” also a best seller was published in 2009. Chris just completed his newest book “Permission To Dream” which will be available in April 2021. Gardner has described himself as “a 67 year old start-up!”
His most ambitious goal at this time is to “create the NEXT Chris Gardner(s), and some of them are going to be girls!” This goal is the sole mission of the Christopher P. Gardner Foundation. Gardner has spoken at hundreds of middle and high schools all across America in this effort.
Life, Legacy, & The Pursuit Of Happyness. Chris Gardner's inspiring keynote speech focuses on messages of perseverance and personal responsibility in times of crisis. Chris communicates these themes through the story of his own triumph over adversity while homeless on the streets of San Francisco with his son, to his subsequent success as stock broker, CEO, single father, and author of the best-selling autobiography, The Pursuit of Happyness and Associate Producer of the film starring Will Smith in the role of Chris Gardner.
In his speech, Chris Gardner discusses:
- What he has learned about beating the odds and overcoming obstacles.
- The application of an entrepreneurial approach to remaking your life and fulfilling your own “Pursuit of Happyness.”
- Why passion is a prerequisite for success.
- The necessity of a clear plan to realize your dreams, with the characteristics Chris Gardner calls the “5 C’s”: Clear, Concise, Compelling, Committed, Consistent.
- Why recessions are the best time to initiate a new business or career path.
- The importance of fatherhood and insights on balancing family and career commitments.
Click one of these resources below for another way to find more speaker ideas for your audience.