Mitch Joel: Decoding the Future
- Called "one of North America's leading visionaries" by Strategy magazine
- Talk combines the 3 pillars of modern consumer success: transformation, innovation, and differentiation
- Charismatic and engaging storyteller who helps audiences understand how to manage disruption and leverage new technologies to outpace the competition
Play Video View Fees
When brands like Google, Walmart, Starbucks, Microsoft, Procter and Gamble, Twitter, and Unilever want to leverage technology to better connect with their consumers, they call Mitch Joel.
Mitch is the founder of Six Pixels Group – an advisory, investing, and content producing company that is focused on brands, commerce, community, and what’s next. Prior to Six Pixels Group, Mitch was the president of Mirum – a global marketing agency operating in 25 countries with close to 3,000 employees. He spent close to two decades building, running, and (eventually) selling his agency to WPP – one of the world's most valuable marketing and communications holding companies.
Exclusively represented by Leading Authorities speakers bureau, Mitch Joel has been called “one of North America’s leading visionaries” and the “Rock Star of Digital Marketing” by Strategy Magazine, he has been listed as one of the “Speakers Worth Catching” by Forbes, he was recognized as one of the top 100 online marketers in the world, and he was named to the highly prestigious “Top 40 Under 40”… but he's much more than that. He is also an entrepreneur, investor, author, trusted advisor, chronic reader, and passionate speaker who connects with people worldwide by sharing his insights on business transformation, innovation, and marketing.
A charismatic and engaging storyteller, he takes audiences on an exciting ride that helps them understand how to manage disruption and leverage new technologies to outpace the competition. Since 2005, he has given anywhere between 40 to 60 keynote presentations a year to small, medium, and large organizations in both the B2B and B2C space all over the world. His style is big, engaging, entertaining, educating, and eyebrow raising, and he customizes every presentation for maximum impact. Your audience will leave informed and ready to tackle the future today.
Mitch is also a best-selling business book author. His first book, Six Pixels of Separation, named after his successful blog and podcast, is a business and marketing best-seller. His second book, CTRL ALT Delete, was named one of the best business books of 2013 by Amazon.
Currently, Mitch is an advisor and investor in many businesses and charitable organizations in the fields of artificial intelligence, smart audio/voice, martech, fintech, and blockchain. He sits on the advisory board for Canada’s Top 40 Under 40, Inovia Capital's Early Stage Fund, HubSpot’s Inbound conference, and is a Trustee of the Westmount Public Library. Mitch is the former chair of the Board of Directors for the Canadian Marketing Association and a past executive for the National Advertising Benevolent Society. He is also a former board member of Postmedia and the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada. In the past, he sat on the content committee for both the National Retail Federation and the Web Analytics Association.
Mitch is frequently called upon to be a subject matter expert for publications like Fast Company, Strategy, Forbes, and many other radio, television, digital, and print outlets. He is a columnist and journalist for I Heart Radio, the Harvard Business Review, and Inc. Magazine. Mitch is also the host of Groove – The No Treble podcast, where he is slowly trying to build the largest oral history of electric bass players in the world.
VIRTUAL OFFERINGS: Virtually There – From Six Pixels of Separation to Six Feet of Separation. Mitch Joel has been at the forefront on online communications since the first commercialized modems and web browsers were invented. He is known as a “digital visionary” and a successful entrepreneur who has used online communications to build businesses, grow communities, increase sales, define new models of leadership and empower teams to be more productive. He understands that online events are not live events delivered digitally. With his own cutting-edge professional studio (multiple cameras, lighting, audio, green screen, etc…), Mitch has developed an entirely new way to experience content, while empowering and engaging your team – wherever they may be. These virtual experience have the same common themes as his wildly popular keynote presentations, but have been optimized to be delivered professionally (and interactively) online:
- Remote Control. Telecommuting, digital nomads, freelancers, remote workers, and solopreneurs have long leveraged technology and new ways of working to redefine what it means to be in business today. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, many businesses were exploring, deploying, or building on the WFH (work from home) revolution. Think: Gig economy. Now that it is upon us, we all find ourselves coming to grips with this new reality. Each of us are suddenly a willing (or unwilling) warrior in the work from home campaign. What can we learn from these innovators? How do we encourage innovation and new business models to continue to be developed? How do we disrupt our industry in this moment and keep going? Can we all still disrupt and innovate? Are things much different than they were before the pandemic for our company? Remote control will help your organization better understand what it takes to be successful when everybody is everywhere.
- Disrupting Disruption. We live in a culture of change. Most companies are overwhelmed by the massive shifts that they have to make to their business models. As we live through this COVID-19 pandemic, this has never been truer. Disruption is everywhere. Digital transformation is imperative. There are several new (and dramatic realities that will force businesses to rethink many of their commonly held beliefs about what works in business today, and what the future may look like. Interestingly, this is less about the adoption of technology and much more about how customers have become that much more efficient in this very different landscape. The result of this? Customers have adopted technology in a way that has fundamentally changed how they buy and interact with businesses today. The world continues to change and challenge brands like never before. Is your business ready to disrupt disruption?
- Direct Impact. What do billion-dollar companies like Shopify, Kylie Cosmetics, Zoom and Dollar Shave Club know that Starbucks and Walmart did not? Which companies were busiest (and experienced growth) during this pandemic (think Amazon, Zoom and more). These startups quickly disrupted industries that took their competitors decades to decode. This new breed of direct to consumer brands has changed the dynamics of business today, with over $1 trillion in GDP contribution already. What are these companies doing that is so disruptive? Here’s what you need to know today about the power of direct to consumer brands, how to build one and/or how to act like one (whether you are in B2C or B2B). DTC brands leverage their true purpose, technology, data, content, direct relationships, and speed to market in astonishing ways. Now, you can too. Brace for impact.
- Decode Content Marketing. Digital communications, content marketing and brand storytelling has matured. In a post COVID-19 world, it has completely evolved. Has your business done the same? If you're thinking about how to build, nurture, or mature a content center of excellence, this is for you. A strong center of excellence creates true value, lead generation, and brings you closer to your customer. Most companies fail at digital communications and content marketing to build their thought leadership and direct response strategies, because they are chasing content formats that don't fit their brand experience... or they don't know where to start… or they don’t know what their customers best respond to. This simple and practical strategy (with tactics) will help your business to define its true content and communication center of excellence. Why do this? Focus, growth, sales, customer loyalty, better customer experiences, and getting your ideas to spread.
- Decode Artificial Intelligence. Put aside the hype, what does artificial intelligence really mean for business today? Quants, data scientists, algorithm overlords, AI trainers and machine learning engineers. These are just some of the people telling businesses today to embrace artificial intelligence. For business leaders, it’s confusing, a massive investment and highly speculative. What is the current and future potential for AI, machine learning, cognitive computing and more? In this highly visual, interactive and straight-forward virtual experience, you will learn (from a non-technologist) the true business applications and opportunities that companies are using to grow market share and do more with smarter technology. When is the right time to develop your AI strategy? When is the right time to invest (especially when we consider what’s going on in the world today)?
Decode the Future.
Right now, every business is trying to figure out where their consumer base and market share is heading—and how to get there first. With this talk, Mitch Joel offers an overview of the major technology shifts that are coming and how they’ll affect human behavior. Mitch has counseled brands ranging from Google to GE to Shopify on how to decode the future, and now he’s bringing that understanding to brands across North America. By helping audiences understand the ways in which all of us will be interacting with and dependent on emerging technologies in the next 5-10 years, Mitch opens new conversations on how to incorporate those behaviors into innovation that will be key drivers of tomorrow’s business.
Disrupting Disruption: How Technology Connects Consumers to Business Like Never Before.
We live in a culture of change. Most companies are overwhelmed by the massive shifts that they have to make to their business models. Disruption is everywhere. Digital transformation is imperative. There are several new (and dramatic) realities that will force businesses to rethink many of their commonly held beliefs about what works in business today, and what the future may look like. Interestingly, this is less about the adoption of technology and much more about how consumers have become that much more efficient in this very different landscape. The result of this? Consumers have adopted technology in a way that has fundamentally changed how they buy and interact with businesses today. The world continues to change and challenge brands like never before. Is your business ready to disrupt disruption?
Ultimate Customer Experience: Customer Experience is the Next Battleground. Most businesses struggle to understand the nuances between your brand, the brand experience, the customer experience and the chasms in between (and how to cross them). Find out what creates meaning, a better customer experience and how to be proactive (instead of reactive) when it comes to building a better brand. What is your story? How can you tell it in a more compelling way? Which brand stories get heard? What does your customer truly experience when they buy from you?
Direct Impact: You May Not Be a Direct to Consumer Brand, But You Should Start Acting Like One. What do billion-dollar companies like Kylie Cosmetics and Dollar Shave Club know that Starbucks and Walmart did not? These startups quickly disrupted industries that took their competitors decades to decode. This new breed of Direct to Consumer brands has changed the dynamics of business today, with over $1 trillion in GDP contribution already. What are these companies doing that is so disruptive? Here’s what you need to know today about the power of direct to consumer brands, how to build one and/or how to act like one (whether you are in B2C or B2B). DTC brands leverage their true purpose, technology, data, content, and speed to market in astonishing ways. Now, you can too. Brace for impact.
Artificial Intelligence: The Real Deal. Put aside the hype, what does Artificial Intelligence really mean for your business today? Quants, data scientists, algorithm overlords, AI trainers, and machine learning engineers. These are just some of the people telling businesses today to embrace Artificial Intelligence. For business leaders, it’s confusing, a massive investment and highly speculative. What is the current and future potential for AI, machine learning, cognitive computing and more? In this highly visual and straight-forward presentation, you will learn (from a non-technologist) the true business applications and opportunities that companies are using to grow market share and do more with smarter technology.
The Long Tales: How to Build, Nurture, and Mature a Better Content Marketing Strategy.
Content marketing and brand storytelling has matured. Has your business done the same? If you're thinking about how to build, nurture or mature a content center of excellence, this is for you. A strong center of excellence creates true value and lead generation. Most companies fail at content marketing to build their thought leadership and direct response strategies, because they are chasing content formats that don't fit their brand experience... or they don't know where to start. Mitch Joel has created a simple and practical strategy to help your business define its true Content Centre of Excellence. Why do this? Focus, growth, sales, customer loyalty, better consumer experiences, and really getting your ideas to spread.
Virtually There: The Promise of A Better Brand Experience With Augmented & Virtual Reality.
Rising from the obscurity of science fiction and the novelty of first-generation experiments, a new batch of augmented and virtual reality technology shows promise to take the immersive consumer experience to unprecedented heights. From fashion runways to hospitals and beyond, consumers will be more deeply connected to brand experiences through real three-dimensional environments. This presentation explores the sophisticated capabilities and applications of AR/VR as they transform the way businesses will touch and sell to their customers. This high-impact presentation will feature some of the most forward-thinking insights of what is predicted to be a $120 billion market by 2020, and how brands and consumers will play significant, collaborative roles in leveraging and shaping the technology. Augmented reality and virtual reality are the next platforms we will use, and sometime soon, we will all agree that this is the ideal brand experience.
CTRL ALT Delete: Reboot Your Business. Your Future Depends On It.
There are five movements that have changed business forever and yet, the vast majority of brands are doing little to anything about it. The next five years of business will be about the convergence of these five major movements, which will require companies to adapt like never before. Transform or die? Some will struggle with this shift while others will simply roll along as the adoption incurs. The trick is in capitalizing on this moment in time, understanding these movements and being ready for your future (a future that will move at a much quicker and real-time pace). What you do with this moment will be telling. It will also set the pace for everything that flows out of your brand for the next decade. Are you ready for a reboot?
Hello, Voice: Smart Speakers, Voice Assistant Technology, and the No-Screen World. Hey Alexa, what do we need to know? What is the future of how customers buy in a world where none of us will be typing? We can (and will) control everything (smartphones, computers, cars, appliances) with our voices. Nearly 30 percent of smart speaker owners now buy with them, and 30 percent of all internet searches are done without a screen. Amazon smart speakers (not including Google or Apple) already reach 15 percent of U.S. homes. This “smart audio” has a staggering implication for your business. Understanding and mastering smart audio is just as important today as a website and strong Google ranking. This might sound like Star Trek, but it’s a massive business opportunity in the here and now. This is your insider’s peek into the future of technology, and what it means to your business today.
We have been inviting Mitch to present to our top clients and internal teams for close to ten years. His material is always fresh and cutting edge. As you can imagine, Google has a constant flow of speakers coming in and out of our global doors, Mitch’s ratings are always through the roof. He’s one of our top-rated speakers, because he delivers actionable content with amazing visuals and stories. He’s become a true friend to Google, and has helped out our B2B and B2C clients all over the world.
Starbucks marketing team often invites inspirational leaders and subject-matter experts to come in and share their thoughts, insights, and ideas on how we can continue to connect with our consumers in a meaningful way, and Mitch Joel is one of the best speakers we’ve seen. Mitch brings a terrific perspective on new marketing and branding channels that could help any organization engage their consumers, and our marketing team was extremely impressed by his extensive knowledge, entertaining delivery, and obvious passion for what he does. We would highly recommend Mitch as a speaker for any sized event, especially if you’re interested in learning not only what works in marketing today, but also what’s going to work tomorrow.
I am constantly trying to better understand how innovation, technology and marketing can help us be better - do more and do it faster. As such, I often host events for the tech community and our team members here at Shopify HQ. Mitch Joel is one of the best speakers we have had. Deep insights, packed with real and tangible skills that we all can use to become better business people. I can’t recommend him enough. I love Mitch!
Whether it’s the National Retail Federation’s Big Show stage or a Shop.org keynote, Mitch Joel always delivers. We consistently get incredible audience feedback on how relevant, timely, inspiring and actionable his content is. Whether you need him to open an event as the morning keynote, wake an audience up in the sometimes dreaded after-lunch slot, or as your perfect closing keynote, Mitch will nail it each and every time. If you’re looking for someone to passionately deliver content about innovation, consumer behavior, and marketing, look no further. He also happens to be wonderful to work with, is always interested in hearing about your audience breakdown to customize the content, and that he is a rare, humble and authentic leader. I’m proud to know Mitch and call him a friend, and I am even luckier to have him on my go-to speaker list for top notch show education for the retail industry.
Mitch Joel’s presentation helped us to see that we needed to change the paradigm of how we interacted with our customers. His ideas and insights have led us to new concepts in the development of our brands
We had really great feedback on your talk, spanning both our participants and our leadership team. Our teams all have rather high expectations for events like this – and you surpassed them
Mitch brings a musician’s timing and keen instincts to hold an audience mesmerized as he opens up their minds to where brands, marketing, and technology are going today. He was one of our top-rated keynote speakers at the BRITE conference, after 9 years in New York. I highly recommend him for any business event and audience!
Mitch Joel thinks big. But he makes his bigger concepts feel accessible, which is a gift of any true teacher. Mitch is simply one of the best presenters I’ve ever hired — which is why I hire him again and again and again!
For the past five years we’ve consistently invited Mitch Joel to speak at Content Marketing World. Mitch delivers every time and always scores among the highest of our 200+ speakers every year. Always compelling, inspiring and actionable. As long as we have an in-person event, Mitch will be invited to speak.
We have had the opportunity to work with hundreds of world-class speakers, and Mitch Joel is definitely at the top of this list. Fascinating content. Dynamic delivery. Above all, Mitch is just a great person to work with. Whether it’s The Art of Marketing, The Art of Sales, The Art of Leadership or some of our other day-long programs, Mitch always makes his content relevant to our audiences.
Mitch Joel is one of CMA’s highest rated speakers. A dynamic and inspiring speaker, Mitch consistently delivers high-energy presentations with cutting-edge information that his audience can use!
Mitch Joel is one of the very best in the business marketing world. When he walks on stage, the audience quickly slides to the edges of their seats. Not only did Mitch deliver what he promised when I asked him to join us as the closing keynote at nextMEDIA, he was also an incredibly supportive partner both before and after the event.
To be candid: I was beginning to despair just slightly - I’m afraid I found many of the earlier sessions really quite disappointing. I’d deliberately avoided getting too deep into the obvious topics in my opening remarks, thinking that the early speakers would cover all the basic ground for me. By the time we got to lunch, I was starting to think we had a complete flop on our hands. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that you pretty much saved the first day. In fact - the whole thing would have been a much different and much better event if we’d had you as keynote.
“Fantastic! Simple and timely... Mitch Joel is an incredible speaker - his thoughts on digital media and where marketing is - or should be going - was bang on!... What wonderful energy and passion... As always, Mitch Joel was enlightening, educating and entertaining. He provokes great thinking and helps marketing traditionalists see the future. The light at the end of the tunnel... Mitch gets our world as Marketers and matches it up with the world, what's coming up in it and how we need to evolve to be effective within it... He gets better every time I hear him... One of the best presentations I have sat through... Unexpected. New language. Not cliché... Mitch is a visionary who gets it... Absolutely fabulous... The best I have seen in many years... Mitch rocks, as usual... WOW!”